Tuesday, September 8, 2026

2026 Scandinavian Tour - October - Day 06 - Geiranger, Norway (Beautiful)

 September 8, 2026

This morning was a lazy morning…although I got up and opened the curtains around 7 AM to see the most beautiful valley full of waterfalls as we cruised up the fjord.  Hundreds of waterfalls cascading over and down the steep slopes of the fjord walls.  Its pretty breathtaking.

The boat first stopped for about an hour in a place call Hellesylt so some excursions could take off from there.  Such small little towns with homes on the most steep cliffs.  I always wonder how they can build such structures.  How do the get the machinery and supplies there?  After spinning the boat we headed to Geiranger.  This was our main port of call for today.  We were here from noon until 9 PM.  We left the boat around noon.  Our plan was to take the hop-on, hop-off bus through the little town and up into the mountains.  Most of the ship wanted to do this, it seemed.  A pretty long wait to buy tickets.  It turned out that our bus time was 1:30 pm, so we had some time to kill.  I just kinda walked around then went and stood in line to make sure we got a decent seat on our bus.  The girls shopped.  But while I walked around, I noticed these green looking vehicles that seated two, one in front, the other in back.  They rented for 1 hour for the same price that we paid for the hop-on, hop-off bus.  I think that would have been a lot of fun to take those around the area for an hour.  Anyway, the bus thing was fun.  We went to the top first where we had amazing views of the valley and into the fjord.  We took tons of pictures of the beauty all around us.  Later, we caught the bus and took it to the next stop where we got off and walked about .9km to a farm house/restaurant.  That was a nice scenic walk up high on the mountain.  After walking back to the bus stop, we got back on the bus to the next stop which was near a visitors center.  It had a river flowing through it that you could follow all the way down to the city center and to our ship.  That was a great walk back. Someone said that there were 480 steps one takes to do this.

After spending the afternoon walking around Geiranger, we re-boarded the bus to wait for dinner.  I have found the food to be ok…not the best that I’ve had.  It’s good…but not the best.  I have found the service to just be ok…not the best, not the worst.  And some of the processes, like getting back on the ship took too much time when compared to other ships.  Most ships have two entry points, this one only has one.  So you get queued up a bit.  It’s just time…all good.

Finally, Denise and Ilene were handed a promotional flyer for a spa night.  They seemed to think it was a good deal for the money.  So they booked it for 8 PM.  As I write this, Denise is there now.  We went to the main show but Denise and Ilene left me to get to this appointment.  Kim was not feeling well after dinner and went to his room.  So I’m on my own for a bit until the 9:30 Big Band show.  I hope we’re able to get seats to it.  We shall see.

Here are some pictures of the day:


I believe this is a shot of Hellesylt’s port. 


Cruising through this fjord.  It was gray in the morning but cleared fairly nicely in the evening.


While waiting for the time to get off the ship, the girls colored.  Yep, colored.


These were some little stories in the little main street of Geiranger.


It was cold in the morning.  Denise couldn’t get enough layers on.



At the highest stop point of our on-off bus, there was this chair looking out over the valley.  Denise and Ilene had some fun with it.


They insulate their homes with dirt and grass on their roof of their houses.  I just wonder if they mow it.


Lovely waterfalls everywhere.


This is the little town of Geiranger, Norway.  Lots of RV’s came into the green area to the right by nights end.  I think it is a popular tourist and camping place.


Cruising up the fjord. 


It was Diva’s night in the lounge.  I thought this girl sings wonderfully.  And to do this song from Whitney Houston (written by Dolly Parton) is a tough one.  She did a nice job.



Some videos that I took.  Pretty area this place is.


No comments:

Post a Comment