Thursday, September 10, 2026

2026 Scandinavian Tour - October - Day 08 - Flaam, Norway

 September 10, 2026

It has been a bit frustrating with Blogger, the tool I use to create this blog.  For some reason, pictures will not upload and be placed on the page.  Videos come up but pictures will not.  I have no idea.   Perhaps the life of this tool is running out.  Anyway….

Today was an interesting day.  We arrived at Flaam, Norway very early in the morning.  It is small…only 1000 permanent souls live in the area.  Before arriving, we had not planned an excursion.  I think we thought that we could just purchase one here.  However, the one excursion we thought would be nice you could not buy off the boat.  So we kind of punted.  We first kinda walked around this small port taking pictures (that you’ll probably never see here).  We then returned and went in and watched a movie/video about the arctic life found here in Noreway.  It showed what they called the Narvik Region of Norway.  The photography was quite stunning showing how beautiful Norway is at all times of the year.  After watchine the video, we headed to a bus that we had purchased tickets for to take us to Stegastein, a very high point overlooking the fjord here.  The drive was probably 20 minutes or so to go through Aurunland and then up a very windy, switch back full road.  Once on top, we spent 20 minutes admiring the beautiful view.  It’s so pretty here.  Our bus driver was telling us how cold it gets…30 below zero at times.  He said he had 2.5 meters of snow on his lawn last year.  I think that’s around 5 feet.  I think its pretty nasty here in the winter time.  But probably pretty too.  After arriving back, we remember that there was a free Viking show.  So we went to that.  It was kinda silly.  But we enjoyed it.  A couple of ‘Vikings’ talked about their history in very broken English and in the end fought each other.  After that, we boarded back on the ship, had a snack and then retired to our cabins to get some r&r.  We’ve been on the go.

Tonight, after dinner, we once again went to the main show which based upon Ed Sheran music.  I know little about him.  So the music was not so familiar to me.   Like last night, after the show, we went to the lounge, played cards and waited for the Big Band show.  Tonight was music from movies.  Pretty entertaining.  

Well another day has passed.  We just passed half way on our journey and since I’ve been gone, two lovely people have died in our ward back home…Frank May and Shirley Aamodt.  Both wonderful individuals who I love dearly.  I’m so sad to have this time without them in mortality.  They will do well on the other side of the veil carrying on and waiting for their loved ones.  Until we meet again Frank and Shirley!

Some videos and pictures:






You can see the cruise ship docked at the end of this fjord.  It is a pretty place, Flaam is.


Another of the dock area.


Our ship.  Look at the glassy water.  This fjord is the deepest Norway fjord…over 1500 meters deep.


This is Denise leaning on a glass thing with her life in peril dangling over the cliff at Stegastein.  I just don’t get it.


This is the roof inside the main hall.  The roof is constantly changing designs.  Today was whales swimming.  It’s a pretty cool feature.


This is the bridge that dangles you over the cliff at Stegastein.  I don’t know why humans build such things.



Trolls are everywhere.  It’s fun to get pictures with them.  


These were some acrobats tossing hats while the Big Band and singer were entertaining us with their music.


Us with our boat behind us.  We’ve had a very nice time.


Just a chair to set my lazy bones down on.  It’s been wonderful being with Denise.  She makes it fun and pushes me to be happy and have fun.






No comments:

Post a Comment